Melt in your mouth Toffee.....


I  got this recipe from a friend on a food message board I belong to. It is originally from Allrecipes.com and is featured here with a few tweaks...I am no candy maker let me tell you. I had an experience with peanut brittle once that soured me for many years.It was a mess and I threw the whole thing away. I was pissed!  Last year I gave this a go and I have to say it was fabulous. The only problem is I have a hard time keeping it around and not eating it....I will be making this one soon to gift for the holidays. The Silpat leaves marks on the candy...but so what....it is killer any way you look at it. You MUST have a reliable candy thermometer for this. It is worth the purchase.I used to receive toffee as a gift from a friend every year...I have to say this one is better...
Thank you Janine and Becky for turning me on to this recipe...and thank you to the candy gods for giving me another chance at candy making with success!

MELT IN YOUR MOUTH TOFFEE
adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients:
1 Pound butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups sliced toasted almonds
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips 

pinch of kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla


Directions:
1 In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, white sugar, and brown sugar, and salt. Cook SLOWLY over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Boil to brittle stage, 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) without stirring. Remove from heat. Add Vanilla.
2 While it's cooking, pour and spread out nuts and chocolate chips (if you're using) into an ungreased half sheet pan that you've lined with a silpat or if not, lightly buttered. Pour hot mixture over the nuts and chocolate, and working quickly, spread out to fill pan evenly with a wooden spoon or heat-resistant spatula. Let the mixture cool and break it into pieces before serving.  


Post a Comment

0 Comments