Easy Butterscotch Sauce/Saturday Blog Showcase



 I saw this a while back on Smitten Kitchen and I felt compelled to make it.  It was quick and easy and delicious. I used light brown sugar and I think if I make it again I will use dark. Everyone here enjoyed it but I felt that it hardened too much upon contact with the ice cream. Not a terrible thing, but I would prefer the sauce to stay more creamy and sauce like. So I am still on the hunt for the perfect Butterscotch Sauce. The flavor was a bit salty and sweet...that was right on...so I just need to play with this a bit...but it is quick and if you find yourself with some vanilla ice cream and a yen for something to put on top of it...this may well be just the ticket!

Easy Butterscotch Sauce
Adapted loosely from the Washington Post, who adapted it from The Perfect Cake via Smitten Kitchen
Yield: About 2/3 to 3/4 cup sauce
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons, 2 ounces or 1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt (or 1/4 teaspoon regular salt), plus more to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, plus more to taste
Melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar, cream and salt and whisk until well blended. [A flat whisk works great here.] Bring to a very gentle boil and cook for about five minutes, whisking occasionally.
Remove from heat and add one teaspoon of the vanilla extract, stirring to combine and this is where, despite the simplicity of the recipe, you get to feel all “chef-y”. Dip a spoon in the sauce and carefully taste the sauce (without burning your tongue!) to see if you want to add additional pinches or salt or splashes of vanilla. Tweak it to your taste, whisking well after each addition. I ended up using a full teaspoon of flaky salt and the listed amount of vanilla to get a butterscotch sauce with a very loud, impressive butterscotch flavor but the strength of your vanilla and intensity of your salt may vary.
Serve cold or warm over vanilla ice cream. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It can be refrigerated in an airtight container and reheated in a microwave or small saucepan.
To do ahead: This sauce will keep at least two weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.


I have not been around much in the last week...we are all under the weather here. Not too much time for blogging unfortunately...but I have been checking in on all of my friends when I can...


Thanks to my sweet friends Ann and Lori for co/ hosting the Saturday Blog Showcase.....today is Ann's turn....thanks so much ladies for hosting this!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Post a Comment

0 Comments