M. Jacques Armagnac Chicken...another Dorie wonder...

I have not made this many recipes from a newly received cookbook ever. Usually I get them, read them cover to cover and IF I make one or two things from a book I consider myself lucky. All of the things I have made from Dorie's new book"Around My French Table" have been wonderful...I am on a roll. I may just cook my way through the book!


I am not going to post the recipe because this may end up being chosen for a French Fridays with Dorie...but in a nutshell, it is some onions and some potatoes...carrots and some herbs sauteed a bit in a cast iron pot.
A nice plump organic chicken seasoned nicely with salt and pepper is nestled into the pan with the veggies...some Armagnac is added . The pot covered and put into the oven for a hour at 450*...the bird comes out and is kept warm and some water is added to the sauce...
Voila...a one pot meal fit for a Queen, the King and their Prince....so simple and so wonderful.
The chicken was juicy and succulent...the heady aroma of the sauce is magnificent. Dorie calls this an "elixir and that is the perfect description of it. I did not have any Armagnac this day so I used some Calvados...it was wonderful.  I ran out the next day and bought a bottle of Armagnac because I know I will make this comforting dish again very soon. I had a really lovely baguette from Balthazar to sop up the lovely juices....
Even the boy who hates carrots...loved the carrots. I had some tiny petite organic carrots with tops....I needed more. Next time! And there will be a next time!
I had a 4 and a 1/4 pound chicken...my 5 quart Le Creuset was a little too small so I used my 9 quart. I think the 7 quart would have been perfect...the 9 was a little bit too large. I think my chicken would have been more well browned in the smaller pot. I am going to try it in the 5 quart and compare....I will have to use smaller potatoes in that case! Hmmmmm...this just might be the perfect reason to buy a new 7 quart Le Creuset....
Someone needs to take me out and shoot me....really...I have no more room!

This recipe can be found on pages 204 and 205 of Dorie Greenspan's new cookbook, "Around My French Table"
The recipe appears in the NEW YORK TIMES STYLE MAGAZINE

Post a Comment

0 Comments